Studies have shown that most buyers make a decision about a house within 15 seconds of walking in the door. Many other buyers make a decision without ever getting out of their car. The message here is that first impressions are very, very important when selling a home.
Seven Home Staging Tips to Attract Buyers
When a purchaser enters a house they are looking at to buy,
most decide within a few seconds
whether or not they are comfortable. This first impression is critical to a quick, well-priced sale. Here are a few easy tips from home staging professionals that you can do on your own to try to get the best value out of your property and ensure a quick sale.
- Make sure that you have the correct lighting. This is so important to every room. Daylight bulbs are the best. Ensure that all the lights are on in the house to show off your lighting.
- Clean all reflective surfaces inside and out. Don’t forget windows, refrigerators, counter tops and art.
- Curb appeal – go beyond cutting the grass and planting flowers. This could also be called “drive-by” appeal. Check the front door, make sure the house numbers are visible from the street, get a welcome mat - see more tips below.
- Pay attention to the smallest details. Review your home for minor flaws – a dripping tap, chipped paint, cracks in the driveway.
- Make sure that all selling features have been addressed and the home shows well. You want eyes to be drawn to the best features so pay attention to the focal points.
- Put away your family photos. You need to make room for the new family.
- Eliminate all clutter. Homes look bigger and more stylish without any clutter. Many stagers have the clients move out entirely, and the stagers bring in their own items.
- Fresh paint can make a real difference. It is the frosting on the cake. Use colors that will appeal to the greatest number of people. You may prefer something bolder or outrageous for yourself, but when selling a house, neutral-colored interior paints work best. Also, replace any worn carpets or other flooring. If you have hardwood floors that are in rough shape, having them refinished can often return many times the cost of the refinishing, and sell the home much faster.
- In many parts of the country homes are shown with no window coverings at all. This creates an open and airy feeling.
- If you don’t know where to start, hire a professional. Make sure you complete the home staging process effectively before any marketing starts.
Tips for the Outside of Your Home
The feeling that people get about the house from the street is called "curb appeal" and there are many home staging tips that can help to improve it.
1) Eliminate any and all clutter. Trim back overgrown bushes, and generally do a thorough clean-up.
2) A fresh coat of paint goes a long, long way to making a house look good. Be careful not to pick too strong of a color. The idea is to appeal to the greatest number of buyers as possible.
3) Fresh sod or landscaping can make a major difference.
4) Eliminate any other negatives like oil stains on the driveway, an old T.V. antennae on the roof, etc.
5) Putting out some some simple flowers in a pot on the front porch, and a new doormat can create an inviting feeling to buyers.
All of these home staging tips are really geared towards making the whole package seem as pleasant and comfortable as possible. One would think that buyers buy with their heads, but it's often their hearts that make the decision!